The scariest five minutes

I experienced just this morning the scariest five minutes of my life (well, sort of).....

Somehow, I got locked outside. I was out in the garage trying to get paint supplies, Gardner ran out with just a diaper on, and the cat was under our Jeep (who knows how she got out). I grabbed the cat, then picked up Gardner, depositing him inside. The door shut, I said, "Oh, no," and felt the doorknob. Yep. Locked.

I quickly reviewed in my mind as to whether there were any other unlocked doors, upstairs or off the patio. Nope. I began to feel the cat's claws digging into my sides, with her starting to panic, sensing my stress. I threw her into the storage room. As I neared the door again, I could hear Gardner figiting with the lock on the doorknob.

"Gardner, sweetie....open the door for Mommy. Open the door. Turn the lock. See that little button on the door? Turn it. TURN it. Open the door for Mommy." More figiting. A giggle. I began to violently crank and jerk on the doorknob.

I saw our neighbor out in the yard planting violets. I ran over. Halfway there, I realized I'd never met her before. I also realized that I was wearing a paint-stained tee shirt, ratty shorts, had on no shoes, no bra, no makeup. Sheesh. That didn't matter, though. Gardner was inside alone, and who knows what would happen if I didn't hurry.

Long story short, she let me use her cell phone to contact Ken. Thank goodness he only works 1/2 mile away. She tried to use small talk to calm me down while we waited, but I kept watching the road, imagining what in the world my 20-month-old was doing in there at this point.

Ken opened the door onto Gardner, who was still tempering with the lock, now crying out of confusion. We're all okay now, and I am devising a plan so this won't happen again.

I'm sure I'm not the only mom this has happened to, but it sure is heart wrenching, embarrassing, and humbling. I only hope I can laugh about it one day....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complete set

Pencil me in!

I need a vacation